Skip to main content

Black World Studies: Multi-media


Producer & Distributor Sites

Library Purchased Films


  • Library-owned films on DVD, laserdisc, and VHS DO NOT include public performance rights UNLESS you see a note in the catalog record that states otherwise.
  • Showing library-owned films outside of the classroom without public performance rights may be illegal.
  • If the library did not purchase public performance rights, it is the responsibility of the individual or organization intending to publicly screen the film to secure public performance rights.

Obtaining Permission to Screen Films on DVD/VHS Publicly 

If a copyrighted movie is not licensed for public performance (i.e., it's licensed only for home use), you will need to to obtain permission from the copyright owner. There are 3 ways to do this:

  1. Contact the copyright holder directly.
  2. Contact the distributor to see if they have the authority from the copyright holder to grant licenses.
  3. For major feature films, contact the licensing service representing the particular studio or title. Services vary in the types of licensing offered and the scope of materials represented. Costs are usually related to the film's release date.

For links to producer, distributor, and licensing services, see Producer & Distributor Sites box at left.

Streaming Video

  1. Alexander Street Press video collections DO include public performance rights as long as no admission fee is charged.
  2. Kanopy streaming video collections MAY include public performance rights. You must ask Acquisitions about any films in question
  3. OhioLINK Educational and Instructional video collections DO include public performance rights as long as no admission fee is charged.

Film, Audio, and Music